Re: ORA-07337

From: Muhammad A. Malik <mamalik_at_cs.wmich.edu>
Date: 1996/05/17

Alberto Lozano wrote:

> Gentlemen:
>
> I am in installing Oracle RDBMS Ver 7.1.4.1.1 under ULTRIX ver 4.4
>
> I use "orainst" to install the software. ===> No problem here
>
> I also use "orainst" to create database objects. ===> Problem here
>
> Now while doing the later I get in my install.log file the following error:
>
> ORA-07337 - smsmat: shmat error, unable to attach sga
>
> ULTRIX error: 24 too many open files.
>
> I also get this error from sqldba and as I do a:
>
> STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE=INIT.ORA.
>
> I installed the ULTRIX operating system.
>
> The INI.ORA is using the defaults for a SMALL database.
>
> When I issue the unix command ipcs -a it shows no shared memory, no semaphores.
>
> This looks like one of the kernel parameters is not right.
>
> We have over 96 MGBTS of physical Ram memory. Nothing else is running in this machine
>
> HELP PLEASE
You did not followed the pre-installation steps properly. Increase the value for the Semaphores and then run the script (orainst).

Note: After changing the kernel parameters (semaphores etc.) and recompiling the kernel you have to reboot the whole system.

Also check the envirnoment variables.

There for help....

--

Muhammad A. Malik