Re: How to rename a database?

From: Stephen A Tahmosh <tahmossx_at_itd.ssb.com>
Date: 1996/05/15

changing the global name is one step.
There is an excellent set of steps on how to accomplish this in Oracle Magazine March / April 1996. We used it and it worked fine. One issue it doesn't address was Oracle Parallel Server (our situation, of course!!!), but the additional requirements were minimal.

Good Luck,
Steve Tahmosh

deangup_at_admin.ci.seattle.wa.us wrote:
;>I need to rename a database. I thought I could do it with:
;>
;>ALTER DATABASE RENAME GLOBAL_NAME TO <new_name>;
;>
;>...and I also adjusted parameter DB_NAME in init.ora, renamed init.ora so the new name was embedded
;>in it (init<new_name>.ora) and added an entry for the new name in /etc/oratab. However, when I did
;>
;>SELECT NAME FROM V$DATABASE
;>
;>...I still saw the old name. And after shutting down and starting up again, I got the message
;>
;>ORA-01103 Database name <old_name> in control file is not <new_name>
;>
;>I thought the ALTER DATABASE would update the control file? Is there more I should do, short of
;>dropping and recreating the database? Thanks.
;>
;>-- Paul de Anguera, City of Seattle / HRIS
;>
;

Steve Tahmosh
State Street Bank Received on Wed May 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message