Re: VB/OO4O ACCESS to ORACLE DB

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: 1996/05/14

richu_at_interaccess.com wrote:

>HI, I have just started on the path to use of VB as a GUI to ORACLE server...
>I need someone to validate my findings or invalidate...so far it seem for
>ORACLE access the fastest methods ( and there seems to be many from VB)
>in order is:
> SQL Sombrero (product using OCI calls bypassing ODBC)
> Oracle Objects for OLE (using VBX/OCI as thin layer over ODBC)
> Remote Database Objects (kinda like OO4O..thin layer over ODBC)
> Data Access Objects (Jet DB links to Oracle..but kinda not feasible for
> larger server-backend DBS)
> Data Control (SLOW as HELL thru ODBC)

>Am I correct?...I guess what I'm looking for is a good method to access ORACLE
>and I'm not sure between the top 3...since RDO is newer w/ VB4...is it better
>than the OLDER OO4O??? Or is OO4O still faster for ORACLE???

>I really dont want to do SQL SOmbrero if I dont have to...

>Thanx in advance....

Oracle Objects for OLE does not use ODBC, it uses OCI calls. So 1 and 2 are probably about equal (although I have no data to back this up).

If you do go the OO4O route, make sure you get the latest version (which is currently beta, I think) as version 1 does not work with VB4.

--
Mark Wagoner
mwagoner_at_iac.net