Re: Seeking advice from gurus...

From: <olysoft_at_xmission.com>
Date: 1996/05/14

tcchew_at_merlion.singnet.com.sg (Charles Chew T.C.) wrote:

>Hi everyone,

>We are currently doing a project that makes use of an Internet gateway
>to linkup with Oracle DBMS.

>Depending on the type of application, users will be able to make
>either a query, add, update or delete. The DB will then either
>retrieve the data or update certain fields.

>We'll collect the user inputs from the Web pages and then pass them
>via the gateway to the Oracle DB.

>We understand that the gateway would be a cgi script using the perl
>langauge. Besides perl, can we use other alternatives such as Pro*C or
>even Java ? Or does Oracle has the tools to develop the gateway
>instead of using cgi?

>Pls kindly give us advice on how to tackle this mammoth project? And
>we would really appreciate if you could suggest an application related
>to the project. We are working on a Unix platform.

Oracle has a webserver product currently available that will probably do exactly what you need. The product is called Oracle Webserver, and consists of a Listener (HTTP server), an Agent (CGI gateway to Oracle stored procedures), and the DB engine (oracle 7 workgroup). As mentioned above, the agent is implemented in CGI, so you do not need their HTTP server to use it. Check out their white paper at:

http://www.orracle.com/products/websystem/webserver/html/ois1.html

Regards,

-oly Received on Tue May 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message