Re: How to rename a database?

From: <mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1996/05/14

In <4n5e8j$spc_at_lal.interserv.net>, deangup_at_admin.ci.seattle.wa.us writes:
>I need to rename a database. I thought I could do it with:
>
>ALTER DATABASE RENAME GLOBAL_NAME TO <new_name>;
>
>...and I also adjusted parameter DB_NAME in init.ora, renamed init.ora so the new name was embedded
>in it (init<new_name>.ora) and added an entry for the new name in /etc/oratab. However, when I did
>
>SELECT NAME FROM V$DATABASE
>
>...I still saw the old name. And after shutting down and starting up again, I got the message
>
>ORA-01103 Database name <old_name> in control file is not <new_name>
>
>I thought the ALTER DATABASE would update the control file? Is there more I should do, short of
>dropping and recreating the database? Thanks.
>
>-- Paul de Anguera, City of Seattle / HRIS

You will have to create new control files to rename your database. Basically you will have to:

  1. Alter database backup controlfile to trace;
  2. Shutdown
  3. Edit the trace file to change the DB name; save the create control file portion as a .sql script
  4. Edit init<SID>.ora to include new DB name
  5. Rename existing control files to .old
  6. Connect internal and run the .sql script to recreate your control files.

See the Administrator's Guide for additional information..

M.Landa Received on Tue May 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message