Re: Oracle/Sybase DBLib Layer?

From: Cyrus Foughty <cfoughty_at_sequent.com>
Date: 1996/05/14

In article <3185535C.2F1CF0FB_at_projectsolutions.com>, Kyle Brown <kyle_at_projectsolutions.com> wrote:
>I need to create a layer which will allow us to plug either Sybase or Oracle, or other db into the
>backend. I imagine the best way to make this code generic is to encapsule the database

.
.
.

>--
>Kyle Brown Tel: 415-637-1801
>ProjectSolutions Fax: 415-637-3903
>Kyle_at_ProjectSolutions.com url: www.ProjectSolutions.com

DO NOT DO THIS! I HAVE SEEN THIS PERFORMED YEAR AFTER YEAR AND IT IS ALWAYS SLOW! ISOLATE THE DATABASE SPECIFIC CODE IF POSSIBLE, BUT DO NOT CREATE THIS LAYER! YOU CAN NOT OBTAIN THE BENEFITS OF THE PRODUCT IF YOU DON'T USE THE PRODUCT SPECIFIC EXTENSIONS. IT IS A BAD IDEA! Cy Received on Tue May 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message