Re: PO7 / NT Wrkgrps, Tech ?s

From: Al Blais <blais_at_nando.net>
Date: 1996/05/13

In article <4n3bm3$l8m$1_at_mhade.production.compuserve.com>, 102777.3306_at_CompuServe.COM says...

>QUESTION:
>
>Using PO7 for NT WORKGROUPS, a database is up and running...
>What happens to an open database when you close down (via proper
>shutdown) the NT server? ORACLE is running as a Service on the
>NT. Does it automatically bring it back up undamaged, on
>restart? Does it damage the Database? Does it not damage the
>database, but I still need to go restart the database? Not a
>single piece of documentation addresses this issue...
>
>Richard Clapp
>Columbus, OH
>102777.3306_at_compuserve.com
>
>Please repsond by both message and mail

Start Oracle on the workstation.
Unplug the Workstation from the wall.
Listen to users scream - What happened.

Plug in the workstation and restart. If Oracle is configured to automatically start when the workstation is started, then Oracle will start. Otherwise you start it manually.

When Oracle is started (platform independent) it automatically checks the state of the database. If it sees incomplete transactions in the rollback segments, it does an automatic recovery - proving you have not deleted or lost any files - the recovery should complete without problem.

TURNING OFF THE WORKSTATION INSTEAD OF CLOSING THE DATABASE IS NOT RECOMMENED!! There is always that one time ^$&^$#^%_at_$#^ and so on..

Al
blais_at_nando.net Received on Mon May 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message