ORACLE VS. ??? QUESTIONS

From: <msdusr_at_emirates.net.ae>
Date: 1996/05/12

Hello,

I have been assigned the task of gathering information about the OTHER big database vendors. We are a large CA-INGRES installation. Given all the hoopla around CA-INGRES the product and its future, my company is interested in learning more about the OTHER vendors' products. I'll be grateful to any info that I can get.

Mainly, the following are points of intertest:

  1. What can ORACLE do that INGRES cannot?
  2. On the scale of the 7X24X365, where does Oracle fit?
  3. How scallable is Oracle, 8 and above processors especially on HP and DEC-ALPHA platforms running UNIX.
  4. How happy are customers with very intensive OLTP applications?
  5. How open is Oracle to third party GUI vendors?
  6. How frequent is the fire fighting mode if any?
  7. How easy/difficult is it to install/manage?
  8. How is technical support?
  9. Do lock escalations exist in Oracle?
  10. Any other info./hints would be helpful...

I appreciate your help. Can you please respond by e-mail.

Thank you very much... Received on Sun May 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message