RE: Need HELP choosing Database

From: V. Lanny Rosicky <lanny_at_terren.com>
Date: 1996/05/12

On Friday, May 10, 1996, jmitch_at_teleport.com wrote...
> Help!! I'm researching relational database systems to convert to. We
 presently are on a mainframe using key file structures. I
> want to move off of the mainframe and onto a PC based network (looking
 at the IBM RSC/6000 as a server) but cannot decide
> on what database to convert to.
>
> We presently write all our own aplications in COBOL and looking to use
 Visual Basic and/or Visual C++ for the applications on
> the new platform.
>
> I appreciate any insight on the database to use, on the IBM RSC/6000
 system I am looking to use, and/or the programming
> compilers I plan on switching to.
>
> OH....some information on our company and our apllications. We are a
 national manufacturing company with four sites. Main
> applications are Direct Order Entry, Inventory Control/Tracking,
 Accounting (AR, AP, GL), and Billing. There are approximately
> 50-75 users with 3 remote sites on lease lines connected to system. I
 am on a very tight budget and need to keep cost down.

> Thanks in advance......JMV

Because of the new pricing structures, I would strongly recommend you look at DB2.
We are using Informix now because its good c/s support and general price/performance features but for larger user base it can get pretty expensive. Received on Sun May 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message