Re: OCI vs Pro*C

From: <nwa_at_protocom.com>
Date: 1996/05/11

In article <319296EB.549F_at_itsi.disa.mil> Bob Yeh <yehr_at_itsi.disa.mil> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OCI seems to be cleaner and doesn't generate that much garbage like
> Pro*C. It is easier to debug and more flexable.
>
> Is there any reason that people have to use Pro*C instead of OCI?
>
> Bob.

I would have to agree with your points on OCI. I am a recent convert, and I believe a lot of people are intimidated by OCI which looks complicated at first but is really easier in ways than PRO C. Oracle has perpetuated this myth by claiming this to be the fact, when I have found just the opposite to be true. Coding a dynamic sql statement in pro c is just as hard as using OCI, and the resulting output in your c file is much harder to follow than if you write it in OCI. The biggest advantage I have seen with OCI is tuning by pre-parsing and pre-binding stored procedure calls and queries that are run often.
Mark Received on Sat May 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message