Re: Please recommend me a DB!

From: Kuo-Sheng <kaseyc_at_discopy.com>
Date: 1996/05/10

In article <4mjt73$qa3_at_news3.digex.net>,

   walden_at_universe.digex.net (Bayard) wrote:
>Is there a document available that compares and contrasts the different
>packages available? I have to recommend a database for my work within a
>week. The project at hand requires a linking, relational database to run
>under os/2 or windows nt, preferably accessable by a large number of users
>on a LAN. I'm not sure of the volume of the data involved. Easy of use
>is a big plus. An accompanying programming language that works well is
>also a plus. Are the programs like paradox, foxpro, and dbase for windows
>pretty much all the same? when does a more powerful system like oracle or
>sybase become necessary?

This is so general that ANYTHING that claims to access and retrieve to data will fit your description.

You need to specify the following:

estimated number of users/stations
estimated # of records (and growth rate if possible) amount of time available for customization expertise of the users (do you need idiotproof or can they hold their own)

After you've answered these questions then maybe we can help you.

Kasey K. S. Chang (a guy) | Paradox for Windows Programmer kaseyc_at_discopy.com kschang_at_sfsu.edu | Star Trek Fan General PC Expert URL> http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~kschang | X-COM Guru among other things...