Re: Accessing Oracle through Web

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/05/09

brian.sakach_at_daytonoh.attgis.com (Brian Sakach) wrote:

>Forgive me for these stupid questions. I'm new to this... Oracle
>software is usually on all the machines I use and we've never run
>into these requirement before...
>
>If we build an application on an Unix box (it's not a web server
>application) and we want to execute stored procedures and return data
>from another server's Oracle database -- what do we need as a minimum
>in Oracle software on the application server side?

On the server:

  • The database server
  • SQL*net

On the client

  • pro*c or oci
  • sql*net

>SQL*Net on both servers?
>OCI libraries or Pro C?
>
>Or is there a better solution?
>
>Does an API spec exist for SQL*Net?

No

>If my application was on Windows instead of Unix I'd be searching
>for an ODBC spec instead, right?

ODBC (many of them) rely on sql*net as well. Some of them provide a sql*net replacement. You run their network server component on your server and their client software on the workstation.

>Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government

opinions and statements are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation. Received on Thu May 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message