Re: Java & Oracle

From: Peter Diffey <peter.diffey_at_bln.sel.alcatel.de>
Date: 1996/05/09

Steve Chell wrote:

> I've been asked to find out how a Java applet can interrogate
> an Oracle 7.1 database (running on a Solaris server).
>
> Is this possible without Oracle's Websever technology?
>
> (Note: my knowledge of Java is very limited.)

I noticed a couple of replies already to your query

sorry guys I think you missed the point

Am I right in assuming that the applet is the client and the database sits on the server.

If this is the case then the applet will look like any other HTTP client and the server must handle the interaction with the database - in this context, the Tim Bunce Perl/Oracle interface is wizzo.

If what you are talking about is a java CGI like application, then the tools mentioned in the other replies may be appropriate - but I suspect you may be in for a lot of pain using this approach.

Pete

--
From	: Peter Diffey

Phone	: 0049 30 7002 3385
Fax	: 0049 30 7002 3851
email	: peter.diffey_at_bln.sel.alcatel.de