Re: Delphi vs Oracle 2000 vs VB 4.0 ???

From: Gordon T. Smith <gts_at_rtel.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/05/09

I've been using VB3 and ODBC to talk to an ORACLE 7 database - very slow. While looking for a better alternative, I came accross a demo version of ORACLE OLE Objects. I replaced some of the JET code to calls to the ORACLE OLE Objects and noticed a startling improvement - a CreateDynaset which previously took 3.5 seconds now completed in a fraction of a second.
It is very easy to use the OLE objects - they use the same calls as VB pre-pended with DB - i.e. CreateDynaset becomes DBDynaset. I rang ORACLE and it seems that they come bundled with Workgroup 2000 or are available as part of the Programmer 2000 package (about £850). Unfortunately it looks like there are seperate Win3.1 and Win95 packages. Received on Thu May 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message