Re: Dynamic SQL Method 4

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1996/05/08

In article <4mqe5a$pb3_at_alpine.valleynet.com>, jared_at_valleynet.com (Jared Still) writes:
|> Heather Dyson <dyson_at_template.com> wrote:
|>

|> >I want to use host arrays with Dynamic SQL Method 4. In the documentation
|> >I have and example of input host arrays used to insert rows. Does anyone
|>

|> What is "Dynamic SQL Method 4". On what version of Oracle is this
|> available?

Dynamic Method 4 is a technique available with the Oracle precompilers (Pro*C, Pro*Cobol, etc.). All versions of the precompilers (from 1.3 and higher at least) support this technique. There are also three other techniques (methods 1 through 3) for simpler dynamic SQL. Dynamic SQL is defined in this case as SQL which is not known until runtime. Static SQL, on the other hand, is hardcoded into the program.

|> Jared Still, Oracle DBA
|> RxNet, Division of Value Health
|> "All opinions are mine, not my employers"
|> jared_at_valleynet.com

Scott Urman            Oracle Corporation           surman_at_us.oracle.com
Author of "Oracle PL/SQL Programming", ISBN 0-07-882176-2
Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm
"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of
 Oracle Corporation"