Re: ? install Oracle 7 on Solaris 2

From: Stuart Lewis <sml_at_plato.ds.boeing.com>
Date: 1996/05/08

>>To install Oracle 7, I need to increase the amount of share memory on Sun
>>Solaris 2.3.
>>How can increase this shared memory ?
>
>Look at your Installation and Configuration guide to be sure about
>this, but you will nedd to alter some kernel parameters. Probably
>SHMEM and related parameters.
>
>don't forget you will have to re-build the kernel and re-boot after
>this for it to take effect.

Yes and no. You won't have to rebuild the kernel (in the normal sense of the term), but you will have to reboot.

The parameters are in '/etc/system'; you will need to do some best guessing and a little figuring to come up with some varibles - it depends on your database size and memory your platform has.

For example, the following is from the '/etc/system' on my Solaris 2.3 machine. I'm running 7.1.6, and have two instances; my SUN has 128Mb of RAM...

  • set test_module:debug = 0x13
	set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70
	set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
        set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=41943040
	set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
	set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
	set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1

*...

You may need/want to fiddle with it a bit and see what gives you the best performance.

Stuart Lewis
sml_at_plato.ds.boeing.com Received on Wed May 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message