RE: Please recommend me a DB!

From: V. Lanny Rosicky <lanny_at_terren.com>
Date: 1996/05/07

On Sunday, May 05, 1996, Bayard wrote...
> Is there a document available that compares and contrasts the different
> packages available? I have to recommend a database for my work within a
> week. The project at hand requires a linking, relational database to
 run
> under os/2 or windows nt, preferably accessable by a large number of
 users
> on a LAN. I'm not sure of the volume of the data involved. Easy of
 use
> is a big plus. An accompanying programming language that works well is
> also a plus. Are the programs like paradox, foxpro, and dbase for
 windows
> pretty much all the same? when does a more powerful system like oracle
 or
> sybase become necessary?
>
> Please email me any thoughts, it is greatly appreciated.

It is an impossible task! You are missing several criteria for you decision - by your post
you indicate that you haven't done much research. Number of users and workstations as well as the expected price category are important aspects.

If I had to do it in a week based on the info you gave us, I would flip a coin between Watcom SQL and DB2. If I had more time, I would investigate offerings from Informix - they may have something which would fit the bill.

Lanny Received on Tue May 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message