Re: Newbie Install Question

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/05/06

In article <01bb3ad0.10b18aa0$2811fccd_at_iunknown.erols.com> Tom Underwood <iunknown_at_erols.com> writes:
>I used oracle installer to set up oracle 7.2.2 and an instance on an HP
>9000 server running HP-UX 9.05.
> I used the default installation, but I'm afraid all my table spaces and
>files are on my root directory. How do I move my files and tablespaces to
>other disks? Do I build the directory structure, set permissions, the edit
>the initdb.ora file to enclude the /disk and parameters then restart

SQL>alter tablespace <tablespace> offline; $cp the data file to the new location (not mv) SQL>alter tablespace <tablespace>
rename datafile 'oldname' to 'newname';
(use full pathnames)
SQL>alter tablespace <tablespace> online; $rm oldname

For moving the system tablespace, you'll probably want to do this:

shutdown the database
cp the file
sqldba mount the database, but don't open it. alter database <dbname> rename datafile 'oldname' to 'newname'; connect internal
shutdown and restart the database

From Oracle 7 Administration and Management, by Ault.

>database? Also, I need to set up a large temp users tablespace to so i
>can do a distinct query on a table with 40,000+ records. I think this is
>related to my tablespace issues. Thanks for any suggestions.

See wonderful Oracle documentation.

jg

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>