Re: Is there any recommended Naming Convention for Setting up DB Tables and Fields?

From: Steve Shiflett <shiflett_steve_at_mm.ssd.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: 1996/05/06

Maybe you could ask him if he has ever done maintenance programming before. Or you might want to ask him if he wants to maintain the code after it is written. Or he could be the point of contact to explain to all the developers what the cryptic names are suppose to suggest. But, better a better tact may be to go to the person in your group who is responsible for standards, and suggest that the group adhere to name standards... of which you *just* happen to have a keen intrest in. (There is evidence that code is easier to write, and easier to maintain with good name conventions. It isn't just a "good idea".) Then give him your standards to review.

There are books written that suggest name conventions. They are all about the same. The one that I have is Physical Database Design for SYBASE SQL Server by Gillette, Muench and Tabaka. I two other book on the subject, but they are at home.

If it doesn't work out, there are always flavored chewable Tums in the economy size. If any of your associates grouse about the name conventions, you can say, "Here, have one of these!" Received on Mon May 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message