Re: Version Control How?

From: Oracle FAQ <orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: 1996/05/06

Nick Clark <fj58_at_dial.pipex.com> writes:

>dmarsha3 wrote:
>>

>> is any facility on Unix or Windows which allows me to keep a version control of
>> each ddl and should be able to identify the changes between the versions so that
>> I can further refine it and have delta changes and apply it on to the existing one
>> and bring it to current .

RCS is from the UNIX world and is easier to deal with that SCCS. It is also free and ports are available to DOS, WIN32, VMS, ....

MKS Source Integrity is a Windowsified RCS and can integrate with File Mangler et al quite well - and does a better job than source safe although the files are no longer compatible with RCS.

Oracle seem to be pushing PVCS (which is like the bastard child of RCS and SCCS). If you get the SOURCE to the DLLs, it is easy, otherwise you'll have to od -x the binary and diff the output. At least RCS has a decent window for comparison, but it would still be a bitch.

orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au                 (private mail to dtb_at_bf.rmit.edu.au)
http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/OracleFAQ   ftp://ftp.bf.rmit.edu.au/pub/Oracle/
http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/Oracle      http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~orafaq
-- NOT TO BE ARCHIVED IN ANY MANNER ON MICROSOFT NETWORK --