Re: How do I list all existing databases and tables ?

From: Jason Jones <jej_at_ptech.com>
Date: 1996/05/06

On 3 May 1996, Kuo-Chien Kai wrote:

> For Sybase,
> 'select name from master..sysdatabases'
> will list all existing databases.
>
> 'select name from sysobjects where type='U''
> will list all existing user tables.
>
> What are the equivalent commands for Oracle ?

Well, since you installed Oracle in an OFA compliant manner (*grin*), you could look in $ORACLE_BASE/admin and have directory names that correspond to individual database instances. However, I bet you might be equating Sybase's notion of a database with Oracle's idea of a tablespace? (I'm not that up on Sybase...) If so, check the view 'dba_data_files' and/or 'dba_tablespaces'...

For all the user objects in the database, check the view 'dba_objects'.

-Jason [Piedmont Technology Group, Inc.] Received on Mon May 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message