Re: RUMOR "Other rdbms vendors to offer free support"

From: Niall McPhillips <niall_at_iprolink.ch>
Date: 1996/05/05

>dreyermg_at_iafrica.com wrote:

>->> I agree with the majority, in that Oracle Support is less than useless.
>->> My experiences have led me through soo many hoops, I don't even remember
>->> how I got my most recent problem fixed.
>->>
>->> The solution is GO TO A DIFFERENT VENDOR.
>
>->If everybody is moaning and bitching about ORACLE support, why is everybody
>->using ORACLE then???

>->VIVA ORACLE !!!!
>->----
>->---------------------------------------------------------
>->MG Dreyer
>->ORACLE Consultant
>->Cape Town - South Africa
>->+27 (21) 981 1805
>->(dreyermg_at_iafrica.com)

Based on my experience dealing with Oracle in many countries (mostly in Europe - but some Asian and U.S.) I have found support to be excellent with one big exception - the U.S.A.!

I think that it is unacceptable to call and wait to be forced into telling a machine what the problem is and only be called back (for the first time) two days later by someone who hasn't a clue how the products work. The one major problem I had in the U.S. took three weeks before someone who understood the products finally gave me a very simple workaround.

I told my local Swiss Oracle support team that I would never complain about them again. They usually solve problems in hours not weeks!

I agree with MG Dreyer "VIVA ORACLE !!!!" - it's a great product but I don't think that having a great product justifies giving less than adequate support. However, I'm not about to throw out the baby with the bathwater and change vendor. My money's still on Oracle.

Niall McPhillips
Stephenson & Associates Received on Sun May 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message