Re: SQL-92

From: Fuzzy <grant_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: 1996/05/05

"Nils C. Hertzberg" <nilsch_at_ii.uib.no> wrote:

>Hi there!

>Does SQL-92 contain specifications for a syntax of stored procedures
>and triggers, and if so, does Oracle 7.2 support this standard?

>The reason why I ask, is that my boss wants me to rewrite a database
>application we have, so that it uses an SQL-database. Our customers
>use Oracle, but we would like the system to be portable to other
>systems as well. Should I avoid using stored procedures and triggers,
>for this reason? It will be a client/server application that will
>benefit greatly by the use of stored procs./triggers.

>I am quite new to Sql-programming, so I hope you will forgive me
>if this is a stupid question.

>Nils

Nils,

Briefly, the answer is NO. Each vendor I deal with has a proprietary way of handling sp/trigs. By the time a standard is developed, they'll be obsolete! <dons asbestos body condom and waits for flames!>

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Grant Allen                    | "Woo Hoo!"
grant_at_towersoft.com.au         | H. Simpson
granta_at_student.canberra.edu.au |

The contents of this post are my opinions only.

      If swallowed, seek medical advice. Received on Sun May 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message