VB4 can't talk to Oracle7

From: Lew J. Leibowitz <ljleibow_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1996/05/05

I have a problem.

I am trying to get a VB4 (32 bit) program to talk to an Oracle7 database. I am running NT 3.51 Workstation, thru a Novell network to the server(AIX). I am using SQL *Net 2.x, freshly downloaded from Oracle's web page and the Visigenic 32 bit ODBC driver that came with VB.

My need is to be able to pass parameters to and from a stored procedure.

I have tried it two ways, the ODBC API and RDO. Both to no avail. Using the ODBC API, I can call stored procedures and pass it numeric (float) parameters. With some kludging (is that spelled right?), I can even get return numeric parameters but I have to receive it in a buffer that is initially set to a value that is greater then the returned value. I cannot make this work with character strings, in either direction.

Using RDO, I can call a stored procedure with no passed parameters. However, as soon as I try to set a value to a passed parameter, I get a bunch of error messages, most notably "Driver Not Capable". Also, if I check rdoErrors after opening the connection, I get a bunch of error messages (even though the program apparently continues on).

I have found no documentation to guide me on this quest. I have checked MSDN to no avail. I have also scanned Microsoft's Web site and found nothing that would help.

From what I readin in this newsgroup, it appears that others are having similar problems and nobody has yet published anything in the way of an answer.

My question is this: is the Visigenic 32 bit driver capable of passing parameters to and from a stored procedure, or even calling a stored procedure for that matter? (I read somewhere that it isn't, but somehow I could do it with limited success using the API). If it is capable, what am I doing wrong? Why am I getting those error messages when I use RDO to try and open a connection.

If anyone has had some success with this, could you please post something saying how you did it?

Thanks

Lew. Received on Sun May 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message