Re: Workgroup vs. Enterprise on NT: A Difference?

From: Fred Puhan <fjp_at_his.com>
Date: 1996/05/04

In article <318A1FE6.3DCB_at_mercury.ptes.com>, "James A. Mumper" <jamumper_at_mercury.ptes.com> wrote:

>> We've been running both Oracle 7.1 Workgroup and Oracle 7.1 Enterprise
>> (sorry, no rev numbers available at this posting) on identical Compaq
>> Proliant machines, both running Windows NT-AS 3.5.1 and have noticed a
>> substantial difference in performance between the two. Oracle has stated
>> that there should be no appreciable difference, since the two products use
>> the same kernel (I agree). So what's causing the difference?
>> snip
>
>Fred,
>
>You don't say in your post which version is faster. Can I assume it's
>the Enterprise version, or should I save a few thousand and get the
>Workgroup variety?

I'm sorry, you are quite correct: the Enterprise version consistently outperforms the Workgroup version in most (but not all) tests (we are using our own apps [naturally] to test). I had thought that perhaps the differences might be caused by Oracle's build version or environment, but wouldn't that be reflected in the version number?

| fjp_at_his.com ||| "If it sounds good, it IS good." -- Duke Ellington |