Re: Windows 32 bit disk access

From: Russell Harrison <russellh_at_acslink.aone.net.au>
Date: 1996/05/04

Dean Cunningham wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I would serious suggest that you check your PC for virus's.
> don't rely on the one that comes with windows. Use Mc Afees or
> invercible ot f-prot. every time windows has come up with this
> for me, the computer has been affected by a virus. Either you
> have a pc hard disk that can't be used with 32bit disk access ,
> or you got a virus. as you have guessed i favour the latter
>
> dean c.
>
> Robert Walters wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get PO7 up at home, and the first thing Oracle says is
> > to install the WIN32s patch.
> >
> > Did it. Windows Setup ran fine, FreeCell is a nice game. Works faster
> > than the 16 bit one.
> >
> > When I turn on 32 bit disk access, however, I get this Windows message
> > when I start Windows again:
> >
> > "Microsoft Windows 32-bit disk driver (WDCTRL) cannot be loaded. ..."
> >
> > then on and on about viruses.
> >
> > My Question:
> >
> > Is there a work around this? Does it take a special patch?
> >
> > All responses are appreciated in advance.
> >
> > Bob Walters bobwal_at_infocom.com
> > Florists' Mutual Insurance Co.

A situation that causes this is using an IDE hard disk bigger than 500MB with 'boot driver' software from the HD manufacturer. This software loads before DOS, and provides a workaround to the IDE size limitation. Generally if you received this software, on the same disk there would be another driver to install under Windows, which will let you use 32-bit disk access.

As this software is basically a kludge, I would recommend getting an EIDE controller (though this may require support from the BIOS - does anybody out there know of incompatible combinations of disk, BIOS, controller?)

Cheers,
Russell Received on Sat May 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message