Re: 32bit vs 64bit ?

From: Andre Fernandes Vincent <avincent_at_unisys.com.br>
Date: 1996/05/04

pbertigl_at_io.com (Paolo Bertiglia) wrote:
>Digital's brochure about their XAP servers and the 64 bit OpenVMS claim an
>houndredfold advantage for a database (Rdb & Oracle) that use a 64 bit Very
>Large Memory model over the same but only 32 bit software.
>
>I understand that you have a much larger address space in 64 bit but how this
>can be translated in a so big performance advantage?
>
>Thanks in advance for every answer.

I'm not a HW expert, so expect to get better ansywers then mine! But, as far as I'm concerned, a large address space is not the only consequence of a 64 bit architecture. I thinks this architecture means 64 bit transfers between Memory and CPU, in one clock "tic" (or cycle). I think this should also mean 64 but registers inside the CPU, maybe brimging some performance improvements.

Continuing the guessings, maybe this effect is not so big, because in a 64 bit archictecture an integer should use 64 bits in a register, as in a 32 bit, it should use 32.

Is this last paragraph "too" wrong? Help us, Hardware people! Received on Sat May 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message