Re: ORA-01547 failed to allocate extent

From: Jason Wells <jason.wells_at_tapestry.com>
Date: 1996/05/02

Chris Little wrote:

> > >Have created another tablespace for temp segments, done the ADD
> > >DATAFILE, and done all that the manuals suggest for defragmenting.
> > >Exported data, dropped and recreated table and re-imported data and
> > >this worked for about a day and a half. PLEASE HELP ME. Oracle Helpdesk
> > >was not speaking my language. Error occurs when doing a table update.
> > >Error indicates Failing to Allocate Extents. Using WARP Connect and
> > >Oracle version 7.
> > >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> > Another possibility is that the table is fine, but one of its indexes
> can't be extended. I've seen DBA's scratching their heads on this one
> for hours. The error doesn't discriminate between table and index.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Chris
> --
>
> Chris Little, Oracle DBA & SAP Basis
> GE Fanuc Automation N. America, Inc.
> Phone: 804.978.5945 Fax: 978.6942
> E_mail: chris.little_at_cho.ge.com

You know, defragmentation won't help at all unless you make sure that the table is sized properly for its data. If you're running out of extents, that means that you need to resize the extents to hold more data.

Jason Wells                 Tapestry Computing, Inc.       Voice: 314.344.0066
Senior Software Developer   Email:jason.wells_at_tapestry.com   Fax: 314.344.0990