Re: Sybase(via Open Client) to Oracle migration

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1996/05/01

In article <4m2b9g$5jv_at_ibridge.iohk.com>, Jay Walters <jwalters> writes:
|> The ORACLE equivalent of the ctlib portion of Open Client is
|> OCI. The ORACLE equivalent of the netlib portion of open
|> client is SQL*Net.
|>
|> IMHO, OCI is much simpler. Whether that makes you happy is
|> another story. They've just recently introduced async
|> capabilities and don't yet have any thread-safe version.
|> That is supposed to come real soon.

OCI is thread safe in version 7.3.2, which is production now on several platforms. The Pro*C version which ships with 7.3.2 (2.2.2) is also thread-safe. The async (non-blocking) calls were introduced with OCI 7.2.

Scott Urman            Oracle Corporation           surman_at_us.oracle.com
Author of "Oracle PL/SQL Programming", ISBN 0-07-882176-2
Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm
"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of
 Oracle Corporation"