Re: Connecting to Oracle7 via Visigenic's ODBC Driver

From: Roger Austin <R.Austin_at_ioh.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/04/30

jkeltner_at_ngdc.noaa.gov (jkeltner) wrote:

> Could anyone give me some sample connect code for
> connecting from NT 3.51 to Oracle 7.2 on a remote unix box?
> I'm trying to connect from Visual Basic 4.0 using RDO and
> I keep getting the following error message:
> Run-time error '40002':
> S1000: [Visigenic][ODBC Oracle driver]Error attempting logon
> I'm using SQL*Net 2.1 and I can successfully ping and use
> SQL*Plus to connect to the server. I'm probably missing
> something obvious, but I can't find any useful docs and Visigenic
> flatly turned down my request for help. I'm beginning to think
> they are a poor solution.

Are you using the NewShell? This causes the sort of problem you are experiencing when trying to connect with Access 7.0 or (I suspect) any application using the Jet Engine (such as Visual Basic). The problem is not confined to the Visigenic driver - I have encountered it with the OpenLink driver also. If you are using the NewShell, uninstall it and try again.

Also, you should download the latest version of the Visigenic driver (and other ODBC files) from

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/SoftLib/MSLFILES/GE1263.EXE

Amongst other things, this version supports dynasets and fixes some memory leaks.

--
Roger Austin
<R.Austin_at_ioh.ac.uk>