Re: MTS & Oracle 7.2 on NT

From: Michael E Corum <mecoru_at_ccmail.monsanto.com>
Date: 1996/04/29

In article <4ltfsp$fjj_at_goodnews.voicenet.com> dstrait_at_voicenet.com (Darin Strait) wrote:

> I'm a (still) aspiring DBA, trying to get a handle on Multi Threaded
> Server. My system has been running for a little while, and people can
> connect and all of that, but I will be seeing increasing amounts of
> traffic in an OLTP-type application soon and since I've been reading
> about MTS I thought I would take something that isn't exactly broken
> (yet) and try to fix it....
>
> Anyway:
>
> I took my test database, which is running SQL*Net 2.2, and added the
> MTS_* parameters mentioned in the Server Administrator's guide to it's
> parameter file. I then restarted the database, expecting the DB to be
> running with MTS. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. How can I tell?
>
> If I do a "lsnrctl status" or a "lsnrctl services", I seem to get the
> same displays as I did before, if I connect from a client on another
> machine, "lsnrctl services" indicates that I started a dedicated
> server process with my connect.
>
> Did I miss something? Do I need to alter my sqlnet configuration with
> Network Manager, somehow? Do I just not have a mental grip on how MTS
> works?
>
> Further, I will have one or two users that will be very active (lots
> of near-continuous action) on the DB, as opposed the the low-intensity
> OLTP application users. How can I have the high-intensity users
> connect to a dedicated server process, and the low-intensity users
> connect to a MTS-type of process?
>
> -darin!

If you are on Windows/NT, MTS is not supported/recommended since Oracle7 on Windows/NT is ALREADY implemented as multi-threaded using NT OS threads.

Mike Corum
Technical Consulting Group
COTE
Monsanto Co
(All opinions my own...) Received on Mon Apr 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message