Re: Oracle Support is next to useless !

From: Mark Styles <marks_at_sensible.teleord.co.uk>
Date: 1996/04/29

Tim Jinkerson - Sun UK - Applications Engineer <timj_at_baa.uk.sun.com> wrote:
>Dan I. Nichols <dan.nichols_at_sandiegoca.attgis.com> writes:
>> I can't believe that I'm the only one who experiences this...
>>
>> Everytime I have a need to call Oracle support, the same thing happens.
>> I'll get hold of an analyst (after 20 minutes of listing to classical
>> music on hold - toll call yet !)

The classical music is irritating, as it sounds horrible over a phone line, and I have had to wait up to 20 minutes for an analyst, although the average is probably 5 or 10 minutes. I've noticed the response centre here in the UK has changed its on hold messages to tell you how many people are in front of you in the queue, which is quite handy.

>> The analyst will dutifully take down, verbatum, my description of the
>> problem, then claim to have need to talk to an "expert". The analyst
>> will promise to call me back, then nothing...for days, weeks, months.

I think this depends a lot on luck, if you get through to someone who knows what they're talking about, you can be sorted in minutes, but in about 70% of cases, you normally get a message taker who gives a log number and says "we'll call you back". I find that if I'm waiting for a call, I have to chase them for a call back.

>> I have a TAR open that was opened in July of 1995. I get absolutely no
>> response from them. If I call back, the analyst is never there, and I'm
>> prompted to leave a message.

I don't know what a TAR is, we have PMS numbers, is that the same thing?

>I have to say that I don't find this to be the case. Yes, it helps if you
>can direct the call to the right person or group to start with, but I reckon
>that they are pretty good.

I try to use the direct dial numbers relevant to specific groups, which makes life easier, although occasionally I find myself bouncing between RDBMS group and UNIX group, when they can't decide whos fault it is...

One of the most dissapointing things about the response centre is the way they use email, I tried emailing some of my problems to them, to save hanging on the phone, and I received a polite reply, giving me a log number, and saying that someone would call me shortly, but so far I have not had a reply without chasing them on the telephone :-(

--
** Mark Styles aka Small       -- Opinions expressed here are my own --   **
** marks_at_teleord.co.uk         -- unless otherwise specified         --   **