Re: Oracle Support is next to useless !

From: Tim Jinkerson - Sun UK - Applications Engineer <timj_at_baa.uk.sun.com>
Date: 1996/04/29

In article 83n_at_rap.SanDiegoCA.ATTGIS.COM, Dan I. Nichols <dan.nichols_at_sandiegoca.attgis.com> writes:
> I can't believe that I'm the only one who experiences this...
>
> Everytime I have a need to call Oracle support, the same thing happens.
>
> I'll get hold of an analyst (after 20 minutes of listing to classical music on hold - toll call yet !)
>
> The analyst will dutifully take down, verbatum, my description of the problem, then claim to have need to
> talk to an "expert". The analyst will promise to call me back, then nothing...for days, weeks, months.
>
> I have a TAR open that was opened in July of 1995. I get absolutely no response from them. If I call
> back, the analyst is never there, and I'm prompted to leave a message.
>
> If I call and rant and rave and complain, I'll get a duty manager who will apologize, and say that they have
> been unusually busy lately, and promise to reassign the TAR to another analyst.
>
> The new analyst will call...dutifully take down, verbatum, my description of the problem...and the whole thing
> starts over again.
>
> This pattern exists for Oracle Applications issues, tools, DBMS, et al...
>
> So...I ask you my fellow Oracle professionals. Is this just the nature of the beast ?
> Any suggestions...Am I supposed to offer bribes ?
>
> -Dan

I have to say that I don't find this to be the case. Yes, it helps if you can direct the call to the right person or group to start with, but I reckon that they are pretty good.

A technique I have used is to phone up, choose next available analyst, ask them to open a call for you with a suitable heading, take down the call no. and fax through all the details directing it to that call. The more work you do before placing the call, the better the service.

Regards

Tim

Note:

These are my own opinions, and may or may not be those of my employer Received on Mon Apr 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message