Re: Mutating Tables...how to handle..?

From: SuBrAhMaNyAm <skorisapati_at_worldbank.org>
Date: 1996/04/29

qmick_at_nyc.pipeline.com (Michael Joseph) Wrote :

Subject: Mutating Tables...how to handle..?

>Does anyone know the best way to deal with this...?
>I have a row level trigger that fires AFTER I >insert a new record in table
>A to insert a set of child rows in the child table >B which of course has a
>Foreign Key constraint defined to A.
>The trigger fires and returns the message 'Table A is Mutating any changes
>made may be lost" and nothing gets inserted into table B.
>What a pain....
If your objective is to insert records into the parent, when someone adds the record to the child then you can rewrite the same row level trigger as table level, so that it fires once for all inserts achieving the same objective.

Hope this helps you

Subbu Received on Mon Apr 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message