Re: Oracle7 performance & tuning

From: Paul Osborn <posborn_at_menlosoftware.com>
Date: 1996/04/28

srinivas_at_connexus.apana.org.au (Srinivas Kopparapu) wrote:

>Hi,

>I am new to ORACLE DBA role. I have been thru' ORACLE DBA
>course. Could someone give some guidelines/tips/starting points
>for investigating and tuning oracle performance and tuning of
>any parameters in init.ora or something.

>Any info will be greatly appreciated.

>TIA

>Sri

IMHO, I believe that backup/recovery and security are the two most important responsibilities of a DBA, unless db performance is so bad that it is marginally useable. After those two responsibilities, I would consider tuning to be important.

[warning: self promotion on]

Check out http://www.menlosoftware.com/
There is a page with numerous SQL scripts that should help you tune your Oracle data base. Also, there is a white paper that should help you get started.

[self promotion off]

Good luck.

Regards,
Paul

--
posborn_at_menlosoftware.com      Menlo Software
http://www.menlosoftware.com   744 College Ave.