Re: Convering from Forms 2.3 and 3.0 to 4.5

From: Mike Openshaw <openshaw_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1996/04/27

David Di Biaggio <dibiaggio_at_iquest.net> wrote:

>Richard Bennett wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know how long it takes to convert and test 50 V2.3 forms to 3.0
>> then to 4.5?
>>
>> I am concerned about the time it takes to convert the V2 style triggers
>> to V3. I know of a tool from Kumaran that can assist with the
>> conversion. Anyone feel like commenting on their experience with this
>> tool?
>> --
>> Richard Bennett E-Mail: richhb_at_sequent.com
>> rbennett_at_teleport.com
>> Computer People Inc. On contract to Sequent Computer Systems

>We used the Kumaran tool to convert our 2.3 forms to 3.0. It took us
>forever to get it configured properly, spent a lot of time on the phone
>with Kumaran tech support. (They actually originally sent us their
>"master" software copy, if you can believe that!) However, once we got
>it configured it converted the forms quickly and easily. We did run into
>triggers that errored off in the convert (most had to do with date
>processing for some reason) but were able to quickly change them and
>continue. We were able to convert about 50 or so forms in 2 days, then
>spent a week or two cleaning up before we turned them over. We also had
>a "beta" copy of the 3.0 to 4.5 converter that we never could get to work
>and gave up as that project has been put on hold...good luck!

The question is this; do you want to maintain your functionality to 2.3 standards? So much of what involved manual coding in 2.3 is automatic in 4.5. Conversion may make sense for 1500 forms (our project), but I would seriously look at recoding 50. This is especially true if you're moving to a graphical, client/server version of 4.5 and your forms are prety much straight-forward. Michael B. Openshaw
Integrated Medical Networks
(Opinions expressed are my own) Received on Sat Apr 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message