Re: Performance problems...

From: Rob Benson <robben_at_theta.co.nz>
Date: 1996/04/27

Tom Armistead wrote:

> Can I get 1,000 concurrent users on a sparc/2000 (Solaris) w/5gig mem
> and 20 85mhz processors running Financials and some home grown Oracle
> apps (PL/SQL, Pro*C and ODBC) (Oracle 7.1). We also have an SQL*Net
> client computer sparc/2000 w/2gig mem and 8 85meg processors.
> Tom,

you dont mention your disk configuration. I assume your using SSA's. What level of raid are you using ? How well is your I/O distributed accross the devices ? Yes raw will give you some improvement but probably not enough if you are really hurting now. Is the 5Gb of memory for real ? How big is your SGA ? Whats your cache hit ratio like ?

If 'The powers that be' are looking at new boxes make sure you look at the new Ultrasparc servers (probably a 5000 in your case). I recently did a benchmark on these and results were awesome. Our probable approach is to frontend one of these with our existing 1000. You could possibly do the same with your existing gear.

--
Rob Benson