Re: NT Licenses

From: <stibs_at_helix.net>
Date: 1996/04/26

> Shan McArthur wrote:
> >
> > Microsoft only requires NT licenses for SMB (LAN) clients. You
> > will not have to purchase an NT client license for each of your
> > Oracle clients unless they use the named pipes protocol. Think
> > of it this way, many internet servers are NT servers, and they
> > do not require millions of NT client licenses (yet!).
> >
> > Shan

Nevertheless, I have heard Oracle say that any (Oracle) database utilised by a Internet-available web site must pay for 32 full licenses.

They have also been telling my company that we must pay for each user who sees data provided by an Oracle database. This includes data passed on by an intermediate server process/system. Explaining to Oracle that we've got 500 users, Oracle generously offered a 5:1 option - to buy 100 licenses. That means we only have to pay $100,000 instead of $500,000.

I also hear that policy depends on who is your Oracle sales rep.

stibs Received on Fri Apr 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message