Re: NT Licenses

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/04/26

In article <317FE3C2.3653_at_powergrid.electriciti.com> Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com> writes:
>From: Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Re: NT Licenses
>Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:42:42 -0700
>To: Matthew Read <mread_at_dircon.co.uk>

>Matthew Read wrote:
>> Given that users will not be using NT and that a user doesn't
>> actually need to log in to the server in order to access the
>> database it occurred to me that you only need to purchase NT
>> licenses for server admin.
I believe the question is how many Microsoft Licenses for the NT server does he need to purchase. In the Netware world you can buy a small Novell Netware liscense, say a 5 user Netware liscense, and have many more than that use the Oracle database as long as you have paid for the proper amount of Oracle licenses to do so. For example, I could have 1 Novell server (server A) that I use for file and print services. I could have a 250 user Novell liscense on server A. I can have server B that is a 5 user liscense and I could have Oracle installed on it. As long as I paid for 200 Oracle lisences I could have 250 people log on to server A and 200 of those logon to Oracle. On the Novell side this is in the Oracle manuals for Novell.

I have not looked in the NT manuals, but I would suspect that a similar situation would prevail for NT.

I know this whole thing can seem confusing.

Jim Kennedy