Re: Unique ID's question

From: Richard Bennett <richhb_at_sequent.com>
Date: 1996/04/26

Jesse wrote:
> Does Oracle7 provide a good way to generate sequential unique ID's, so
> that each new record gets a unique number for its ID field? If the
> solution requires pl/sql, can it be invoke via oraperl?

I suggest using a 'sequence'. If you want to automatically use the sequence, then use a database trigger to populate the sequence value whenever a row is inserted.

Hope this helps

Richard Bennett		E-Mail: richhb_at_sequent.com
				rbennett_at_teleport.com
Computer People Inc.	On contract to Sequent Computer Systems