Re: 21 terabytes at NYNEX

From: John Susag <John.susag_at_minneapolismn.ncr.com>
Date: 1996/04/25

I'd like to know what DBMS is being used for 21 TB. Is all of it online, I frequently see people claim data on tape as part of their data warehouse system.
>==========John Durkin, 4/25/96==========
>
>mew_at_world.std.com (Michael E Willett) wrote:
>
>>In the April 22 WSJ article "Storage Devices Take Spotlight
>>in Computer Industry," Jerry Higgins, who manages a database
>>of 21 trillion bytes of data at NYNEX, says, "Computers are
>>becoming a sidelight to the data warehouses."...
>
>Although I respect the concept of 21 TB of storage, I would like to
>know how this backed up. With current technology, it sounds like a
>near impossible task, unless the 21 TB DASD is mirrored. Even then,
>at some point I assume a tape backup must be taken.
>
>Or, does the concept of backup not exist for data warehouses? Of
>course it must, as these type of applications become more and more
>mission critical. I would like to hear from the storage gurus how
>massive amounts of DASD can be efficiently backed up and restored when
>necessary.
>

>John P. Durkin
>Tokyo, Japan

John Susag - john.susag_at_minneapolismn.ncr.com Database Consultant, NCR Professional Services Received on Thu Apr 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message