Re: Informix, Sybase, Oracle or MS SQL server

From: Paul Chen <chen_p_at_perfit.zko.dec.com>
Date: 1996/04/25

In article <4llgt5$7ob_at_netope.harvard.edu> cpc0000_at_ibm.net writes:
>tlarson_at_ari.net (J.Masino/T.Larson) wrote:
>
>Without opening myself up too far, surfice it to say that the MS product has
>some toubles scaling. I've heard that somewhere around 15M rows it starts to
>break down. That may seem like a lot of rows, but it really isn't. I have
>tables that blow past that number with ease, especially large financial
>transaction and medical lab results tables.

On my MS SQL Server, I have tables with several hundred million rows and it did NOT break down. I suspect those who have problems with 15M rows built their databases on FAT filesystems, which is a no no for medium and large databases under MS SQL Server. But if you use NTFS files as your database devices, MS SQL Server is capable of handling medium and large databases smoothly and with good performance.

Paul Chen, Ph.D.
Consulting at DEC
Disclaimer: My opinions only Received on Thu Apr 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message