Re: Moving Database from one server to another.

From: Murat Cakir <muratc_at_knidos.cc.metu.edu.tr>
Date: 1996/04/25

> The company I work for has upgraded our database server from a single
> machine to a RAID box. I need to be able to move the database from one
> server to the other. Is there anything further involved than just
> exporting the entire database, transfering it to the new server and
> then importing?
> Phil Kan.
> xan_at_iinet.net.au

There is nothing wrong with your procedure, but you may face with a performance decrease -it may be negligible, but theoratically, it is possible- since RAID distributes all you indexes, tables, redo logs, archives etc., to somewhere that you are not sure, and this may be on the same disk(s). Only problem is that.

So, sometimes this is not a good way 8-)

Murat Cakir
METU Computer Center - Library Automation Group

muratc_at_knidos.cc.metu.edu.tr       cmurat_at_rorqual.cc.metu.edu.tr
Tel : 2102087/109 		   Fax : 2101120