Re: Informix, Sybase, Oracle or MS SQL server

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/04/24

Michael Cowden <cowden_at_tc.net> wrote:

>Hello.

>We are trying to find a workgroup database server to run on Intel/NT
>that will be accessed from an SCO UnixWare 2.1 server and an SGI Irix
>5.3 server. The Irix machine is a webserver and will perform queries on
>the database. The UnixWare machine is an IVR (Integrated Voice Response
>unit--an automated attendant used to process incoming telephone calls
>and such). The UnixWare machine will also query the database.
>Additionally, reports will be run on the database--sporadically.

>We will also need Embedded SQL for SCO Unixware 2.1's C compiler and the
>IRIX 5.3 C compiler.

>I'm wondering which one of these servers is the best to go with. Here's
>what I found so far.

>Oracle:
> Seems to offer alot of what we need, but you must take a
>database of line to back it up--this is a problem. Also, I've yet to
>speak with a technical person at Oracle--they seem to just try to get by
>with their name. Also, They are a little more expensive and I don't
>care much for their internet strategy (creating a webserver to compete
>with Netscape and others rather than working with webserver developers
>as does Sybase). Also, they seem to be more proprietary than Sybase or
>Informix.

  • Database does not need to be taken offline, hot (online) backups have been part of Oracle since version 6
  • We offer a webserver for one stop shopping but our Internet solution works with Netscape, NCSA, Apache and many many more as well.

[snip]

>Thanks for any info.
>-Mike

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government

opinions and statements are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Apr 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message