Re: Memory/Gb of Database - Any Guidelines?

From: Bill Beaton <willyb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/04/23

In article <4lgeev$ovm_at_gaia.cc.gatech.edu>,

        badri_at_cc.gatech.edu (badri) writes:
>Hi:
>
> I have a 18Gb database running on a 12 processor
>Sequent box. We have 754 Mb memory. What is the general
>thumb rule for memory/Gb of database? Can I assume that as
>long as we don't page excessively and disk sorts are minimal,
>our memory utilization is good and we don't need more?

Personally, I haven't seen any useful relationship between DB size,
processors, and RAM, except for the increments used for pinning items
im the SGA, and for caching tables.  The generally most useful measures
I have are approx. 64MB per processor to avoid problems, and I find that 15MB per simultaneous session gives me just enough space to do fairly effective performance tuning. Paging doesn't seem to be a big issue, as long as its in the effective range for the OS, and as long as swapping is nonexistant.   We have several 100 GB on a 6 processor SparcCenter-2000 with 512MB RAM, and get very good performance, as long as we disallow any cost-based optimization (Oracle 7.2.2.4).
--
Names:	Bill Beaton			beatonb_at_cadvision.com
					Bill_Beaton_at_calgary.qc-data.com