Re: Performance problems...

From: <U19822_at_uicvm.uic.edu>
Date: 1996/04/23

             <tarm_at_concentric.net>
> Can I get 1,000 concurrent users on a sparc/2000 (Solaris) w/5gig mem
> and 20 85mhz processors running Financials and some home grown Oracle
> apps (PL/SQL, Pro*C and ODBC) (Oracle 7.1). We also have an SQL*Net
> client computer sparc/2000 w/2gig mem and 8 85meg processors.
>
> We have this configuration and have found the machine to be I/O bound
> (the system shows about 40% wait-I/O at any given time, resulting in
> some pretty horrible response times). We 've pretty much exhausted
> all of our resources trying to get this to work (i.e. more memory,
> more cpu's, ...). We are now in the process of reworking the
> applications (but that will take time). The one thing we haven't done
> yet is set up raw devices for the Oracle database files. Will this
> give us much improvement? My guess is yes, but the powers-that-be say
> no? They are now looking into trying different hardware (i.e.
> something other that Sun).
>
> We've had people from Oracle and Sun looking at our configuration, but
> they haven't offered much help (they actually made things worse in
> some cases...).
>
> Can anyone offer any advice? Is anyone running this at a site with
> this much hardware and this many users?
>
> Much thanks,
> Tom
> --
> Tom Armistead Software Services
> tarm_at_concentric.net Garland, TX 75040

   Does some drives much heavily used than others? If so you can try to balance disk IOs by stripping your frequently accessed datafiles and adding disk controllers.

   Reduce full table scan by adding indexes. You may need to use sqltrace to find out which SQLs cause most of the IOs. Received on Tue Apr 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message