Sorting character data in alphabetically order regardless of case

From: Johnny Baker <johnny_baker_at_us.wfl.com>
Date: 1996/04/23

Oracle sorts character data based on the numeric values of the character defined by the character encoding scheme (ASCII, EBCDIC). This causes all uppercase letters to appear before any lowercase letters for ASCII and all lowercase letters to appear before any uppercase letters for EBCDIC.

Is there an option which can be set to sequence letters for the American alphabet, regardless of case? We are currently using the UPPER and LOWER functions on the column we are sorting on to get the desired sequence. This works, but I would think there is a better way. The NLS_SORT parameter appears to be a possible solution, but requires the NLS*WorkBench to create the desired sort sequence. Am I "barking up the wrong tree" with NLS_SORT?

If anyone has a solution or opinion, your imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

JBaker Received on Tue Apr 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message