Re: Base table of U.S. Zip Codes

From: Alan Reinhart <res_at_mail1.netreach.net>
Date: 1996/04/22

Jessica wrote:

> I am currently working on an application (to be run under an ORACLE7
> database) which requires me to find the state for a specific U.S. zip
> code.
>
> I've already downloaded a list of all U.S. zip codes from a web site and
> have stored it in a base table. The list has over 33,000 entries of zip
> codes, cities, and states. But rather than having to search the entire
> table each time, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a more optimal
> solution for such task.

[snip ]

A database of zipcodes, including city,state,county FIPS, and possibly some other stuff can be purchased from Mailers Software, 1-800-800-MAIL. (No affiliation - just happy user!). It is very up-to-date, and currently as over 43,000 entries.

Here is an alternative approch to just think about, (and a shameless plug for Omnis).

I have a fully Omnis based app which uses zip-code lookup for order entry. The above mentined zip-code file decomresses to about 8+mb. This is a Mac based app, so I include a copy in each workstation's system directory. Thus when its time for a lookup, there is no network access, and the repsonse is VERY quick.

The reason I mention this here is that Omnis is a VERY good front-ending tool for Oracle. You could build client apps which access a local native df, (such as a zip-code file), AND still access the backend with a VERY user-friendly and powerful client. AND you can intermix Macs and Windoze machines as you workstations.

Best of Luck!

Alan R.
res_at_netreach.net Received on Mon Apr 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message