Re: Base table of U.S. Zip Codes

From: Jack L. Swayze Sr. <keystrk_at_feist.com>
Date: 1996/04/22

Jessica <je8468a_at_american.edu> wrote:
>I've already downloaded a list of all U.S. zip codes from a web site and
>have stored it in a base table. The list has over 33,000 entries of zip
>codes, cities, and states. But rather than having to search the entire
>table each time, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a more optimal
>solution for such task.

I, also, have a table with zip codes in it - including City and State as well. The best way to optimize your query is to put a (non-unique) index on Zip-code. I did so, and a process that normaly ran 18 hrs ran in just under two. (My zip_city_state table has >80,000 entries.)

'Keystroke'
KeystrkTX_at_AOL.COM Received on Mon Apr 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message