Re: Year 2000 problem

From: John Higley <johnhi_at_biker.pen.tek.com>
Date: 1996/04/22

Hello,
  I had a thought - what if the format "yyyy" behaved in a "good" way? For   instance: If I set up an input format of "dd-mon-yyyy" and the user   accidently forgot to say 1996 - instead he just said 96, wouldn't it be   nice of Oracle to use 19 as the century?

  As it is, they change 96 to 0096 and they do not consider it an error!

  I can see a lot of bad dates being entered because of this.

  On the other hand, if Oracle would recognize that only two digits were   given, they could default the first 2. Likewise, if the format "rrrr"   existed, they could do the appropriate thing. This would allow users to   enter 2 digit years, or if needed, to enter the 4 digit year.

  As it is now, either they must enter a 4 digit year (and not be told that   they goofed if they forgot) or enter a 2 digit year and hope for the best.

  Whatever the situation, you must allow the user to see the date in "yyyy"   format before he commits.

  Maybe this should be an enhancement request.

					John Higley
					Tektronix, Inc.
					john.m.higley_at_tek.com